Why should I do it:
- Helps students get and remain organized
- Promotes responsibility
- Helps students sort and keep track of assignments and other responsibilities
- Provides students with structure
- Helps lay out students activities and responsibilities for the day
- Helps students put what they need to do in perspective, helping them to feel less overwhelmed
- Increases student buy in and motivation
- Increases student awareness and participation in their learning
When should I do it:
- When students are poorly organized
- When students miss and lose work frequently
- When students exhibit low motivation
- When students have trouble transitioning
- When students fail to do work and home work
- When students get overwhelmed with work
- When students have trouble keeping up with the class
How do I do it:
- Some schools give every student a planner
- You can make up a daily planner out of a notebook or small journal
- You may type up a page with the students schedule and routine for a day and make copies of this, stapling them together or giving the student a new one each day
- Many office stores have daily planners
- Ask parents to get the student a planner
- Once you have a planner for the student, sit down with them and explain how they will use it, assisting them at first to help them get the procedure down
- Check the students planner daily and have the parent check the planner daily
- With multiple teachers, have each teacher check to make sure the student has correctly written their home work and other assignments in
- You may consider having parents sign the planner to engage the parents in the planner and with their child
- You may also consider having teachers sign to indicate they have checked to see the student has accurately recorded their assignments and responsibilities in that class or subject for that day
Resources & Support for technique:
(Items with footnotes link to external websites)
- Plan To Succeed: Teaching Kids The Planner Habit 1
- Student Planners: Organize Your Time With A Day Planner 2
- Free Student Schedule, Planner, and Assignment Sheet Printables 3
- Free Printable Daily Planner here (Excel 2003 format) or here (previous Excel versions) 4
- Printable Daily Planner For Excel Download Now 5
- Ewer, C. Plan to Succeed: Teaching Kids The Planner Habit. [http://organizedhome.com/family-ties/teach-kids-planner-habit].
- Fleming, G. Student Planners: Organize Your Time With a Day Planner. [http://homeworktips.about.com/od/timemanagement/a/planner.htm].
- Kristen Brooke Beck Company. Free Student Schedule, Planner, and Assignment Sheet Printables. [http://www.kristensguide.com/Printables/student_schedule.asp].
- Effexis Software, LLC. Free Printable Daily Planner. [http://www.timethoughts.com/timemanagement/daily-planner.htm].
- Vertex42 LLC. Free Printable Daily Planner: Create a Daily Planner by Printing Your Own Planner Pages. [http://www.vertex42.com/calendars/daily-planner.html].