Why should I do it:
- Provides students with more one on one help, support, and intervention
- Holds students accountable
- Provides structure, routine, consistency, and organization
- Promotes self responsibility
- Improves students’ grades and accountability
- Improves student buy-in
- Increases student motivation and effort
- Improves school/home communication
When should I do it:
- When students exhibit persistent behavior problems
- When students are very unorganized
- When students consistently fail to compete daily class/school requirements (work, behavior expectations, peer interactions, lunch, etc)
- When students exhibit persistent emotional difficulties, like frustration, anxiety, tantrums, etc.
- When students are defiant and oppositional
How do I do it:
- Utilize a daily behavior form, chart, or report card
- Decide on the main problem behaviors and put these on the chart
- Explain the procedure with the student
- Rate the student for each period, hour, etc in the areas you decide to put on the form or chart
- Send a copy of the chart or form home for the parent to sign and review with the student, either daily or weekly
- Depending on the form you use, you may give the student a new form each day or the form may have space to rate the student for the week or month, etc.
- Review the student’s daily behavior and marks with them in a productive manner, discussing how they felt they did, why, and what to change or do differently the next day, etc.
Resources & Support for technique:
(Items with footnotes link to external websites)
- Utah State Office of Education. Behavioral Contract. [http://www.iseesam.com/teachall/text/behavior/LRBIpdfs/Behavioral.pdf].
- Utah State Office of Education. Additional Application: The One-Party Behavioral Contract in a Transition Services Setting. [http://www.iseesam.com/teachall/text/behavior/oneparty.htm].
- Utah State Office of Education. Behavior Contract Video. [http://iseesam.com/teachall/video/BehavCntrcts.mov].
- Lewis, B. How to Create Behavior Contracts: Your Most Challenging Students Require Creative Discipline Solutions. [http://k6educators.about.com/cs/classroommanageme3/a/createcontract.htm].
- Demand Media, Inc. How to Create a Student Behavior Contract. [http://www.ehow.com/how_2218698_student-behavior-contract.html].
- Intervention Central. Behavior Contracts. [http://www.interventioncentral.org/behavioral-interventions/challenging-students/behavior-contracts].
- Free Behavior Contracts. Free Printable Behavior Contracts & Charts. [http://www.freebehaviorcontracts.com/downloads.php].
- Wright, J. Sample Behavior Contract. [http://www.jimwrightonline.com/htmdocs/interventions/behavior/behcontr1.php].
- About.com. Behavior Contract: My Contract. [http://specialed.about.com/library/templates/contract2.doc].
- About.com. Behavior Contract: My Contract. [http://clk.about.com/?zi=3/1bc&sdn=contract2&cdn=term4&tm=9&f=21&tt=22&bt=0&bts=0&st=10&zu=http%3A//specialed.about.com/library/templates/contract2.pdf].
- worksheetplace. Behavior Contracts: Behavior Contracts and teacher forms, free behavior contracts. [http://worksheetplace.com/index.php?function=DisplayCategory&showCategory=Y&links=2&id=87&link1=31&link2=87].
- Behavior-Contracts. BEHAVIOR CONTRACTS, BEHAVIOR CHARTS, PARENTING TOOLS: Providing Simple Solutions for Frustrated Parents. [http://www.behavior-contracts.com/index.htm].
- Demand Media, Inc. (2011). How to Create a Behavioral Contract with Your Teen. [http://www.ehow.com/how_2221199_behavioral-contract-teen.html].
- Teachnology, Inc. Learning Contract Maker. [http://www.teach-nology.com/web_tools/contract/].
- Foundation Academy Charter School. Foundation Academy School-Parent-Student Contract. [http://www.foundationacademy.org/sps-contract.aspx].
- Adapted from Twin Peaks Middle School, Poway, CA., California State PTA Parents Empowering Parents. Student-Teacher-Parent Contract. [http://www.mccpta.com/brochures/schoolContract.html].
- Building Blox. Behavior Contract: I Am Working For. [http://www.buildingblox.net/images/I_am_wroking_for_board.pdf].
- Webster, J. A Behavior Contract and Behavior Monitoring Tools: Printable Resources to Help Students Improve Classroom Behavior. [http://specialed.about.com/od/behavioremotional/tp/A-Behavior-Contract-And-Behavior-Monitoring-Tools.htm].
- Webster, J. Behavior Contracts to Support Good Behavior
Explicit Contracts Can Help Students Improve Problem Behavior. [http://specialed.about.com/od/behavioremotional/a/Behavior-Contracts-To-Support-Good-Behavior.htm].
- About.com. Behavior Tips and Tricks. http://specialed.about.com/od/behavioremotional/Behavior_aned_Emotional_Disabilities.htm.
- Watson, S. Behavior Contracts – Printables: Print These Behavior Worksheets. [http://specialed.about.com/cs/behaviordisorders/a/samples.htm].
- Pearson Education, Inc. Behavior Management Forms. [http://www.teachervision.fen.com/classroom-discipline/resource/6283.html].
- California Teachers Association. (1999). Behavior Contracts – How to Write Them. [http://www.nea.org/tools/behavior-contracts-how-to-write-them.htm].
- EducationBug. Behavior Contracts and Emotional Disturbance. [http://www.educationbug.org/a/behavior-contracts-and-emotional-disturbance.html].
- Free Printable Behavior Charts. Free Printable Behavior Charts. [http://www.freeprintablebehaviorcharts.com/].
- Latitudes., Association for Comprehensive NeuroTherapy. Behavior Modification Charts for Home and School. [http://www.latitudes.org/behavioral_charts.html].
- Ascend Interactive, Inc. The Behavior Charts that kids love. [http://www.goalforit.com/behavior-charts.html].
- Chart Jungle. Computer Printer Picture Graphics : Behavior Charts (FREE PRINTABLES : BEHAVIOR : CHILD) . [http://www.chartjungle.com/behavior.html].
- Child-Behavior-Guide. Behavior Charts for Kids. [http://www.child-behavior-guide.com/behavior-charts.html].
- Legacy Publishing Company. Free EP Downloadable Behavior Charts. [http://www.empoweringparents.com/free-downloadable-charts/].
- Teen Help. Behavior Contracts. [http://www.teenhelp.com/parenting-teens/behavior-contracts.html].
- Kid Pointz, LLC. Behavior Contracts. [http://www.kidpointz.com/behavior-tools/behavior-contracts/].
- Campbell, C. Behavior Contracts. [http://jc-schools.net/shortcuts/behavior.html].
- McIntyre, T. (2002). Contracting. [http://www.behavioradvisor.com/Contracts.html].
- Keenan, S. M. (2007). 7 Steps For Creating Behavior Contracts For Children. [http://www.lifescript.com/Life/Family/Parenting/7_Steps_For_Creating_Behavior_Contracts_For_Children.aspx].
- Provost, T. How To Create Behavior Contracts. [http://www.howtodothings.com/education/how-to-create-behavior-contracts].
- Madison Metropolitan School District. Behavior Contracts. [http://chavezweb.madison.k12.wi.us/files/chavez/BehaviorContractsPlan.doc].
- Los Angeles Unified School District. Corona Avenue School Student Behavior Contract. [http://www.lausd.net/Corona_EL/Intervention_files/Behavior%20Contracts.pdf].
- Google. Behavior Contract (Google image search). [https://www.google.com/search?q=behavior+contract.pdf&sa=X&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=JLZZU7jCLdevyATx1IHQBQ&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1355&bih=779#q=behavior+contract&tbm=isch&imgdii=_].
- MakingRoomASD. (2010). How To Use A Behavior Contract in 15-Minutes. [http://youtu.be/BnUvQTvmtj0].