Consequences

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
Admin
Topic starter
(@pbis-world)
PBIS World Creator

Our school has been implementing PBIS for 4 years. When we started implementation the Code of conduct went out the door and negative consequences were not to be used. For example, a student is being disruptive during whole group instruction so the child is asked to either relocated to a location in the room but away from classmates. The staff is hungry for a consequence framework. With PBIS, do we balance acknowledging the positive with the negative consequences? Students are pushing the limits and are getting away with it. I understand the need to prompt, redirect, research and conference when negative behaviors occur, but I also see the need to help students to understand consequences and self regulation of behaviors. Should there be consequences in a PBIS school?

1 Reply
Admin
Topic starter
(@pbis-world)
PBIS World Creator

This is a hotly debated topic with strong voices and opinions on both sides. I think there is a place for consequences in a PBIS School. All things in moderation. The most effective way to integrate consequences is to make them as predictable, structured, and well taught as any other PBIS expectation, rule, etc. Consequences work best when they are made into a formal structure or intervention. For example, on PBIS World, I have a number of what would be considered consequences. Things like losing recess time, privileges, free time, etc. Some kids respond really well to a structured consequence system in addition to positive reinforcement.

With regard to balancing acknowledging consequences with positive reinforcement, I think most would advise to emphasize the positive more than the negative. Like the standard 4-5 praises per 1 reprimand or correction.

With the PBIS expectations, you may, the majority of the time emphasize this, but also once in a while teach the consequences too. Or maybe teaching and reinforcing the consequences might dictate itself in that it would be gone over when students are pushing the limits and approaching the point to where consequences will soon be implemented. Perhaps a pre-consequence is a quick reminder and lesson about the consequences.

I don't think I've ever seen a structured consequence system directly integrated into the PBIS matrix and framework, but it could be done fairly easily I think. For instance, when students are disrespectful more than 3 times, they lose 5 minutes of recess. Then thereafter, another 5 minutes for each additional offense.

Rewards and incentives should already be built into the PBIS system whereby students meeting and demonstrating the expectations get daily, weekly, and/or monthly rewards and incentives.

Share: