The PBIS World Book

Forum

4th grader that is ...

Notifications
Clear all

4th grader that is a perfectionist, anxious and has trouble with being impulsive and frustration

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Admin
Topic starter
(@pbis-world)
PBIS World Creator

My 4th grader is academically above average but he is a perfectionist and gets frustrated he gets an assignment that is difficult for him to do. Teachers call him disrespectful constantly because he is busy and lacks impulse control. I get complaints that he is out of his seat, blurts out and at times (when he "doesn't like an assignment", but in reality can not do it) becomes defiant.

Any suggestions?

1 Reply
Admin
Topic starter
(@pbis-world)
PBIS World Creator

It will be hard to change the teachers perceptions. I'd target the exact behaviors the teachers are finding disrespectful and try to work on them:

busy & out of seat
blurting out & defiant

This could be the basis of a BIP, which would involve the teachers. If the student is buys, then perhaps teachers could allow the student to stand while working or to pace in the back of the room while working. Maybe frequent breaks to get a drink or something else could help as well.

If the student's outbursts and defiance are generally related to not being able to do perceived difficult work, perhaps the student and teacher(s) could work out a specific cue that the student would give when they felt this way, and that the teachers would give to the student when they observed the student talking out of turn or appearing to be defiant. The student could be taught to give the cue when frustrated or when they want extra help.

Share: